Who We Are
Keweenaw Economic Development Alliance (KEDA) is the private, 501c3 non-profit local economic development organization serving the Baraga, Houghton, and Keweenaw County Region. KEDA is currently staffed by an executive director and a contracted membership and small business development coordinator. KEDA is supported by over 250 businesses, local governments, organizations and individuals.
We are a community driven by out leaders to be the best at utilizing our technology, education and business assets to build a diverse economic base that leverages and develops the unique strengths of each county and its people.
Our mission is to engage community leadership to start, retain, grow and attract companies that will increase the wealth of the region through a holistic and collaborative strategy that builds on the assets and opportunities present in the region.
Primary Focus of KEDA
- Start, retain and expand regional companies through regular outreach and delivery of support services
- Assist companies looking to locate to the region including custom proposals, available site and demographic information, incentive packaging and facilitation of access to all available resources
- Assist companies that need access to alternative financing including support through the KEDA and Houghton County revolving load funds
- Identify opportunity to improve infrastructure to support business and coordinate packaging of projects for funding
- Assist communities to plan and implement improvements that will support their growth and development and retain and attract talent
- Collaborate with regional, state, and national partners and service providers to ensure effective support for regional businesses and communities
- Lead and support to initiatives designed to advance the region's economy
- Provide information on issues and activities relevant to our region's development as well as networking opportunities through monthly member meetings
Keweenaw Economic Development Strategic Plan
Our strategic plan was completed in 2015.
Goals are to:
- Foster Business Growth
- Improve Infrastructure
- Revitalize Our Communities
- Develop and Attract Talent
- Enhance Cultural and Recreational Opportunities
Vollwerth & Co.
Financial Services Representative,
Superior National Bank/Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce
Iowa-Illinois Warehouse Services
Superior National Bank
Peninsula Powder Coating
MTU Office of Innovation & Industry Engagement
Peninsula Copper Industries
Major Accountant Executive
Upper Peninsula Power Co.
Jim Vivian Jr.
Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital
Amy Isaacson (Ex Officio)
Supervisor, Baraga Township
Executive Director, Baraga County Housing Commission
LJJ Contracting, LLC, Julien Properties & Quincy Woodrights
KEDA Executive Director
Debbie Stouffer (Ex Officio)
Baraga County Chamber of Commerce
Tom Tikkanen (Ex Officio)
Houghton County & Superior Properties
Jerry Wuorenmaa (Ex Officio)
Western UP Planning & Development Region
Jeff Ratcliffe, Executive Director
Jeff has a wide range of community and economic development experience. Over his 25 year economic development career in small rural communities he has worked with manufacturers and commercial businesses to identify financing and operational problems, obtain expansion financing and address management issues; worked with manufacturers and commercial businesses to solve employee screening, training, infrastructure and regulatory issues; worked with identified prospects to provide custom site location information package incentives and numerous business locations resulting in new jobs and millions of dollars in new investment; identified, packaged and managed infrastructure developnent to serve business expansions and locations; counseled start up and existing usinesses, reviewed business plans, facilitated strategic planning, provided ongoing financial review and packaged loans for bank and EDC-managed revolving loan fund financing.
Darlene Gronevelt, Membership & Small Business Development Coordinator
Dar has worked under contract with KEDA since 2006 to conduct visits to manufacturing and other companies as directed by KEDA for purposed of determining needs, issues, and growth opportunities and providing appropriate referrals and follow up. Dar also conducts intake counseling necessary for businesses to secure consulting from the Region 1 Small Businesses Development Center and conducts other associated SBDC follow up activities as requested by the SBDC. SBDC consulting services are provided at no cost to the business and cover a wide range of assistance including, but not limited to, forming and registering a new company, business plan development, finance packaging, marketing assistance, web site and social media, financial management, pricing, and operational and human resource guidance.
Dar's background provides her with a familiarity with business operations, costing human resources including staff development, service delivery coordination, ability to identify and communicate information and concepts, and critical to economic development, the ability to open doors, build relationships and ultimately establish trust. In addition to our regional economic development partners, Dar has an established network of contacts in the region that she often brings to the table to assist the companies she is working with. She is client centered and committed to growing our region.
Become a Partner
Keda is supported by the financial investments made by the business, governments, institutions and organizations of the Keweenaw. To beome a supporter of economic development in the Keweenaw, contact a board member or the staff at KEDA. There are many ways you can support our efforts including direct financial support, breakfast sponsorships, scholarship sponsorships, donation of scholarship auction items, and being the highest bidder at our annual skilled trades auction.
- 41 Lumber/Hamar Quandt Co.
- 5th & Elm
- A.E. Seaman Mineral Museum
- Abe Supply Inc.
- Ace Hardware of Calumet
- Adams Township
- Adams Township School District
- Advance Tec Body Repair
- Aire Care/John E. Koski, Properties
- Allan's Realty
- AmericInn Calumet
- American Track Truck Inc.
- American Transmission Company
- American Water Co. - Michigan
- American Welding & Gas
- Anderson Welding & Mfg., Inc.
- Applebee's Grill & Bar
- Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital
- Auto Value of Houghton & Calumet
- Auto Value of L'Anse
- Baraga County Chamber of Commerce
- Baraga County Federal Credit Union
- Baraga Telephone Co./UP.net
- Black Ice Comics
- Book Concern Printers
- CHN Surveying
- Calumet Charter Township
- Calumet Electronics
- Calumet Floral & Gifts
- Cameron Group (LaSalle Technology)
- Campioni Enterprises
- Century 21 North Country Agency
- Charter Township of Portage
- Chassell Township
- Chassell Township Schools
- City of Hancock
- City of Houghton
- Coca-Cola Bottling Company
- Columbia Linen Service
- Concepts Consulting
- Copper Country ISD
- Copper Country Veterinary Clinic, PC
- Copper Range Abstract & Title
- Copper World Inc. of Calumet
- Country Inn & Suites
- Country Village Shops
- Cyberia Café
- D P Construction, Inc.
- Daily Mining Gazette
- Dapple Gray Bed & Breakfast
- Dave's Hancock Service Inc.
- Dollar Bay Linoleum & Tile
- Downwind Sports
- ERICO Electric, Inc.
- Econo Foods/T & C Markets Inc.
- Edward Jones, Zutter
- Eisenhower Center
- Electric Brewing Company
- Erickson Feed, Seed & Pet Supply
- Farmers & Merchants Mutual Fire Insurance Company
- Finlandia University
- First Choice Auto of L'Anse
- Frank A. Douglas Agency
- Franklin Square Inn-Magnuson
- Franklin Township
- G & J Site Solutions, Inc.
- GS Engineering
- Gardenview Assisted Living
- Gartners Gallery
- Gitzen Company
- Gogebic Community College
- Good Times Music
- Goodwill Industries of Wisconsin & Upper Michigan, Inc.
- Great Lakes Accounting, PC
- Gundlach Champion, Inc.
- Guy St. Germain
- Hancock Public Schools
- Herman Hills Sugar Bush
- Holiday Inn Express
- Horner Flooring
- Houghton County
- Houghton County Memorial Airports
- Houghton County Treasurer
- Houghton Keweenaw Conservation District
- Houghton-Portage Township Schools
- IR Telemetrics
- InSight Eyecare
- Indian Country Sports
- Into the woods Mini Golf & Gardens
- Isle Royale & Kew. Parks Assoc.
- John & Arthur Penegor, Inc.
- Johnson Glass Cleaning
- Julio Contracting Company
- Keweenaw Bay Indian Community
- Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College
- Keweenaw Cairn, LLC
- Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce
- Keweenaw Chevrolet
- Keweenaw Co-op Natural Foods & Groceries
- Keweenaw Coffee Works
- Keweenaw County
- Keweenaw Gem & Gift
- Keweenaw Kountry Store/Kitchen
- Keweenaw National Historical Park
- Keweenaw Sewing Company
- Keweenaw Speciality Woods
- Keweenaw Title Agency
- Kirk Hammel
- Kirkish Furniture
- Krans Oil Company & Rowe Oil Company
- Kubik Aviation/UP North Airways/Avis
- L'Anse Warden Electric Company
- LJJ Construction
- La Cantina Restaurant
- Lahiti Jewelers
- Lake Superior Design
- Lakeside Inn
- Laser North, Inc.
- Lassila Insurance Agency, Inc.
- Leadfoot Engineering
- MJO Contracting
- MTEC SmartZone
- MTU Alumni Relations
- MTU Auxiliary Services
- MTU Campus Book Store (auxiliary)
- MTU Career Services
- MTU Chemistry Department
- MTU Computer Science Department
- MTU Dual Career Program
- MTU Facilities Management
- MTU Innovation & Industry Engagement
- MTU Keweenaw Research Center
- MTU Mechanical Engineering - Engineering Mechanics
- MTU Portage Lake Golf Course (auxiliary)
- MTU School of Business & Economics
- MTU School of Forest Resources & Environmental Science
- MTU University Marketing & Communications
- MacInnis Consulting, Inc.
- Mariner North
- McGann Building Supply
- Michael A. Lahti Properties
- Michels & Sons Building Supply
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Michigan Tech Employees Federal Credit Union
- Michigan Technological University
- Midwest Loan Services
- Miners State Bank
- Miscowaubik Club
- Moyle Real Estate & Development
- Mt. Bohemia Ski Resort
- Mt. Ripley Ski Area
- Neuvokas Corporation
- New Power Tour
- Nicholas J. Daavettila, Attorney at Law
- North of 45
- Northern Hardwoods
- Northern Initiatives
- Northern Mutual Insurance Co.
- Northwoods Sporting Goods
- OHM Advisors
- Office Express U P Inc
- Ojibwa Building Supply (Do-It Best)
- Ontonagon County REA
- Osceola Township
- Pasty.Net, Inc. (Pasty Central)
- Paul Ollila
- Peninsula Copper Industries
- Peninsula Powder Coating, Inc.
- Pepsi Cola Bottling Co. of Houghton, Inc.
- Pete Wesa - Farmers' Insurance
- Peterlin Bros. Co.
- Pettibone, LLC - Heavy Equipment Group
- Pine Mountain Music Festival
- Portage Health Foundation
- Portage Lake District Library
- Portage Quilt Shop
- Quincy Footwear
- Quincy Mine Hoist Association, Inc.
- Quincy Woodwrights
- Quincy's Restaurant & Lounge
- R. C. Mechanical, Inc.
- REL, Inc.
- Ramada - Hancock Waterfront
- Randy Malueg, CPA
- Range Bank
- Red Jacket Media
- Rep. Scott Dianda
- Rippa Products Inc.
- River Valley State Bank
- Roy's Pasties & Bakery
- Royale, Inc.
- SEMCO Energy
- STK Anomaly
- Sen. Tom Casperson
- Shelden Grill
- Sherwin-Williams Company
- Silver Bear Manufacturing
- Sleeman Flowers & Green House
- Smythtype Design
- Stanton Township
- State Farm Insurance - Kelly Jepsen
- State Wide Real Estate of Houghton
- Suomi Restaurant, Inc.
- Superior Equipment & Sales
- Superior National Bank (Keweenaw Financial Corp.)
- Superior Parts & Service Center, Inc.
- Superior Sand & Gravel, Inc.
- Superior Smiles
- Superior Tree Farm
- Surplus Outlet
- Sweet Tooth Bakery & Treats, LLC
- Swift True Value Hardware
- The Lunch Bag
- The Muffler Shop
- The Office Planning Group
- ThermoAnayltics, Inc.
- Tolksdorf Realty & Forestry
- U-Haul Moving & Storage
- U.P. Engineers & Architects, Inc.
- U.P. Marketing Department
- UP Health System - Portage
- UP Janitorial Service
- UP Office Express
- UPWard Talent Council
- Universal Metals Works
- Upper Peninsula Power Company
- Van Straten Enterprises
- Village of Baraga
- Village of Lake Linden
- Village of Laurium
- Village of South Range
- Vollwerth & Co. Sausage Mfg.
- WalMart #2192
- Walt's Gun Shop
- Waste Management
- Western U.P. Michigan Works
- Western Upper Peninsula Planning & Development Region
- Wickley Agency, Inc.
- Wilkinson's General Store
- Worham Acres
- World of Wood
2017-2018 Meeting Schedule
All meetings will be held at the Finnish American Heritage Center in Hancock unless otherwise noted. Doors open at 7:00 a.m. with the program running from 7:30-8:30 a.m.
October 4 - Updates from Michigan Technological University (Glenn Mroz), Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce (Brian Donnelly), MTEC SmartZone (Marilyn Clark), Superior National Bank (Dave Vlahos), Aspirus Keweenaw Hospital (Dave Olsson), & Finlandia University (Karin Van Dyke).
Sponsored by Electric Brewing Supply.
November 8 - The Challenges of Power with Jim Larsen, CEO, UPPCO.
Sponsored by UPPCO.
December 7 - The annual Business Ball and Skilled Trades Scholarship Silent Auction hosted by the Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce, Keweenaw Young Professionals and KEDA at the Continental Fire Co.
January 10 - KEDA Annual Report & Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce Annual Report.
Sponsored by Ferrellgas.
February 14 - MTU Innovation Shore Initiative with Glenn Mroz, President and John Lehman, Associate Vice President for Enrollment and University Relations, Michigan Technological University.
Sponsored by Statewide Real Estate of Houghton.
March 14 - Start Up Business Panel with Travis White, ProNav Marine, Valerie Baciak, Keweenaw Coffee, and (tentatively) Up North Pizzeria of L’Anse.
To be determined.
April 11 - Financial Services in the Keweenaw with Peter Sorce, CEO, Midwest Loan Services of Houghton.
May 9 - KEDA Skilled Trades Scholarship Awards.
To be determined.
June 13 - Topic to be determined.
To be determined.